Monday, July 6, 2009

Deividas Taurosevicius Interview



I spoke today with former NY Pitbull (of the IFL) Deividas Taurosevicius, who will be fighting Mark Hominick at Affliction:Trilogy on August.

A few things of note:

1. It’s pronounced DEH-vi-dus Tor-oh-SAH-vi-shus

2. He signed a 3-fight deal with Affliction.

3. He’s dropped down from 155 to 145 because he could: “I always used to fight at 155, but I always used to fight at my weight: 157. My coaches said, ‘Why don’t you fight at 145?’ You know, at the professional level, everybody is dropping weight, and when I see how some guys are built, dropping 20, 25 pounds, I changed my mind, and said, ‘Yeah, why don’t I do that?’ We tried to do 145. No problem. Weighed in, felt great. I don’t think I’m going to have any advantage at 145, but there’s not going to be a disadvantage for me.”

4. He’s opened a new gym – Taurus MMA in Farmingdale, NY – and says that his boxing is much improved.


Here's the article I did on "Russian Dave" for Full Contact Fighter:

Deividas Taurosevicius Ready for Featherweight Debut
by Matt Kaplan

Deividas Taurosevicius (10-3) is eager to show the MMA world the new “Russian Dave.” He’ll be fighting for a new promotion, at a new weight, and with newly improved weapons (that he’s honed at his new gym).

After a 15-month layoff, the former IFL New York Pitbull is set to make his Affliction debut on August 1 against dangerous Canadian kickboxer Mark Hominick (16-8), who will also be returning after more than a year of inactivity.
Taurosevicius recognizes the dangerous striking skills of the Shawn Tompkins-trained Hominick, but says that since his last pro fight (in May, 2008), his boxing skills have shown marked improvement.

“I see him keeping pressure all fight, I’ll keep the pressure, and we’ll be banging with the hands. I’m holding nothing back. My hands are good too, but this is mixed martial arts. Maybe the fight will go to the ground; I’d love to go to the ground,” said Taurosevicius, whose 10 pro wins include 8 submissions.

Taurosevicius’ fight against Hominick will also mark the first time the native Lithuanian will be fighting at featherweight.

“I always used to fight at 155, but I always used to fight at my weight: 157. My coaches said, ‘Why don’t you fight at 145?’ You know, at the professional level, everybody is dropping weight, and when I see how some guys are built, dropping 20, 25pounds, I changed my mind, and said, ‘Yeah, why don’t I do that?’ We tried to do 145. No problem. Weighed in, felt great. I don’t think I’m going to have any advantage at 145, but there’s not going to be a disadvantage for me.”

Deividas says that he is happy to be a part of a card that features Fedor Emelianenko, Josh Barnett, Babalu Sobral, and Gegard Mousasi, and is primed to climb into the ring on August 1 with Hominick and steal some of the thunder from the bigger guys with the bigger names.

“We’re both going to be in great shape, and both will push the pace all fight. It’s going to be a good match. It’s going to be a war.”

No comments:

Post a Comment