Friday, February 26, 2010

Jake Shields Interview



I caught up with Strikeforce middleweight champ Jake Shields a little while back for a Full Contact Fighter article.

So how did it come to be that you became a coach on Team Liddell?

“Me and Chuck stayed in touch the whole time since I left [San Luis Obispo Kickboxing Academy]. We stayed friends, and when he found out he was doing the show, we were talking and figured, you know, I could come help the team out.”

What do you feel might set this season of The Ultimate Fighter apart from others?
“I don’t really know what’s going on in the house; I stay out of that and just coach. But I think we have a lot of talent on this season, and I think we’ll see a lot of good, young up-and-comers stick around from this show.”

Before joining as a coach, were you a fan of the show?

“I think [TUF] gives people an inside look at fighting - and in an entertaining way too, showing the [fighters’] lives and all that - so I’m certainly a fan of the show.”

As a Strikeforce champion, did you ever feel that you were in ememy territory, so to speak, while on the set of a UFC show?

“Everything was cool. I know Strikeforce and UFC don’t like each other that much, but I’ve never had any problems with the UFC and Dana [White]. I’ve always been a big fan, and I like Strikeforce I’m a big fan. I didn’t really feel like I was caught in the middle that much.”

So when you're not taping TUF or Bully Beatdown, you also fight -

"Every now and then, yeah."

Dan Henderson, April 17. How'd that come about?

“I think when he signed, it was kinda the logical thing. He’s an ’85-pounder, and he wants a title shot. Fighting a legend will be an honor.”

Have you followed Henderson's career? Are you a fan?

“I’ve been a big Hendo fan for years because I’m coming from a wrestling background. And back before I even fought, I watched him, and I used to always root for all of the wrestlers.”

Do you feel that 185 lbs. is the best weight for you, or do you plan on dropping back down to 170?

“I think I’ll end up dropping back down, and if it weren’t for my good friend Nick Diaz holding the belt below, I’d like to try and hold both [the welterweight and middleweight] belts at once.”

The Cesar Gracie Fight Team has now locked up the Strikeforce lightweight, welterweight, and middleweight belts. What is it about your team that's brought on so much success?

“I think we just train harder. We have the mentality to always train hard and never quit, and it’s been that way for years. We push ourselves to the limit by surrounding ourselves with people who have the same mentality.”

Is there anyone after Henderson you'd like to fight?

“I wouldn’t mind beating the crap out of [Frank] Shamrock, for real, but I don’t really think he’s at the level to fight in the cage anymore, so that might be a waste of time.”

No comments:

Post a Comment